Sunday, March 7, 2010

Waxing Philosophic

Since this was a short day as far as visits go, I thought I might share some of my thoughts, etc. on this whole deal!!!

First off, it may surprise you to know that I don't even have a radio/stereo in the 4Runner. I spend all time driving in virtual silence with only the road and engine noise to distract me. My daughters can't believe I do that. I do love music. I'm horrible and titles, artists, etc. but I do love it. I finally broke down about a year ago and bought an iPod... great little device... don't know where it is right now.

Instead, I spend my hours thinking, which could be a dangerous practice. But, while thinking, I come up with these crazy ideas like this place and what to write here. You may notice that there are new "pages" popping up here with nothing on them (except to say "coming soon"). These times in the truck are usually productive and I really never dwell on negative ideas. I usually end up with positive feelings which is great.

Which is why I've decided to share a little here.

As most of you know, I hope to eventually hope to travel fulltime in an RV beginning in about 2 years. I will not have the money to "retire" so I have to figure out a way to support myself on the road. I love to travel and I have always been a fan of things that are "not normal." So, I came up with this thing. Hopefully, you will find this site interesting enough to come back and see what I've done that's new... what I've changed that's old and everything in between. And if you find an ad or two that you can click, so much the better.

But, more importantly, this wild and crazy idea is going to give me time to think!!! As I said to someone today, I have solved most of the world's problems already in the 1,000+ miles traveled in the last two days. I guess that's why I feel like I can share that too, instead of just the silly stuff. (Although, I'm probably gonna end up with it on another site)

So today's "heavy" subject (and I will only use a few lines) is being alone vs. being lonely. I travel alone. I have been divorced for 12 years without remarrying. I have mostly lived alone for that time. But, I am not lonely. Alone, to me, is a physical state, meaning there's just no one physically present with you.

Being lonely is an emotional and mental state. I really believe than an individual can control that. It takes a lot of work, discipline, etc. But I still think loneliness is controllable and avoidable and not a necessary result of being alone.

So much for today's serious note... now let's get back to the fun stuff!!!

Tomorrow, hopefully, or maybe Tuesday, I'm going to meet a man who is traveling the United States in a horse drawn wagon. Talk about seeing the world at a slow pace!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment