Sunday, March 7, 2010

Space Age Lodge & Restaurant - Gila Bend, Arizona

This was the last stop of my first day on the road. I had driven by this place about 6 months ago and had to come back and figure it all out!!! Just looked like an old, vintage motel with LOTS of character. I mean who puts a flying saucer on their roof?





And yet, there it is!





According to information they gave me at the front desk (yes, I always ask permission before I start taking photos, etc.) The motel was built in 1964/1965 (I figured older) and originally had a three 10 foot diameter satellite replicas on the roof. These were replaced with the flying saucer in a 1969 renovation. What a shame!

The restaurant was destroyed by fire in 1998 but was rebuilt. I had dinner there. Good food, great ambiance, what with all the space stuff.





Anyway, the motel exterior carries on the space age theme (I didn't get a room).













Even the pool looks futuristic, complete with a geodesic dome for the equipment





That's all for today, folks. I am thinking that I might be revising these things as time goes on, so check back if you can. I may have added something that you don't wanna miss... or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment