Sunday, March 7, 2010

Center of the World - Felicity, California

I heard of this place and wondered how the heck can you call yourself "The Center of the World?" Not to get too technical, but wouldn't any point on the surface of a sphere connect directly to the "center" of the sphere, making every place the center of the world? That's just my warped thought process, but as it turns out, this place has been "officially" recognized as "The Center of the World." (I forgot to ask who designated it)



I'm not sure if I picked a good day or a bad day to visit. While there, I found out that the "Discovery Channel" was filming a segment for a "Green Earth" day program. I haven't figured out what makes the place "green." At any rate, my day included signing a release so that I could appear on camera.

So, here's the deal here... although because of the filming, it was not a "usual" day... you pay $3.00 for a "certificate" that declares the date and time you stood at the "center of the world". Once they get a few of these certificates sold... they take you into a pyramid structure....



Then you stand precisely on a dot, facing north towards a church and make a wish



The view facing the church....



The founder and mayor of Felicity (complete with sash) congratulating the host from Discovery after making her wish.



The sound girl from Discovery making her wish



YES, I did make a wish... for "whirled peas" (and you all thought I'd wish for the sound girl!!!)

Ora did not, sadly, get to make a wish. I am too cheap to pay $3.00 for a sock puppet to wish to become a real girl.... oh wait... that was Pinochio... wrong story.



I think it was a little windy for Ora!

No comments:

Post a Comment