Sunday, March 21, 2010

Two Story Outhouse - Gays, Illinois

YES... they are "offset" so the first floor isn't dodging "bombs" from above, or getting an unwanted view through a "skylight"!!!



Located at the corner of Front & Pine Streets in a small little town in east central Illinois is this gem from history. Built in 1872 adjacent to a two story hotel, this piece of history survived while the hotel did not. So, now it stands alone, but preserved for all to see.

According to some I have spoken with, the actual origin of two story outhouses is in the snowy northeast. Snow would accumulate to such a height that is was easier to just walk on top of the snow to the second story than to burrow through it to get to the bottom floor. Either way sounds awfully cold to me.



The town of Gays, Illinois has preserved this outhouse with a little corner park. Alas, the door to the outhouse was locked when I visited and no one was around, so I cannot report as to whether or not this is a "fully functional" outhouse. I'm not really sure I want to know. On a personal note, I was raised in this same area. My grandfather was a farmer and he did not have indoor plumbing on his farm at all. (Means I have personal experience in using an outhouse when out on Grandpa's farm). There are two dedications here, one to the man who worked to preserve the outhouse and another to a young man who lost his life in the service of our country. I include photos as a tribute to both.



And so it stands, alone, but not forgotten. Apparently there are people out there who are fascinated with such relics of the past!!! The books below are from amazon.com.

Outhouses

Nature Calls: The History, Lore, and Charm of Outhouses


2 comments: