Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cole Ranch - Sterling City, Texas

WOW... what a place. I'll start off by saying that I took 80 photographs here. Everyplace you look there's more to see. So, at the bottom of this post is a "slide show" so you can see all the photographs taken. BUT... even more amazing is the ranch owner, Alvie Cole. I sat in a rocker on his porch with Mr. Cole and Freckles the dog for 90 minutes. We spoke of many things, including the things on the ranch, but the more interesting conversation was his telling of his life, including the depression, ranch life, current and past conditions of the U.S. and just generally, "life."



The various items were made, collected and place by Mr. Cole over many years. There are silhouette sculptures of the old west, mock up buildings like the old saloon, jail and outhouse and just an incredible array of items.





The ranch is located on US Route 87 just south of a little town called Sterling City, Texas. It is truly out in the middle of nowhere as we used to say. This particular site was not on my radar at all. I hadn't seen any internet sites on it or about it. Nobody had told me to watch for it. I was just driving north on 87 and saw it there. So I made a U-turn and stopped at the side of the road.



As I was taking photographs from the roadside, I saw someone on the porch waving me in. I walked up to the porch and met Alvie Cole. As a man who had lived his life and has nothing to prove and no one to impress, he was amazing. Dressed in a bathrobe, he was comfortable, without worry of appearance or impression. He and his dog Freckles, sat with me on the porch for quite a while. I can't even express how immediately comfortable and pleasant the conversation was.



I could write pages and pages on this visit, but for now, will let the photos speak for me. All in all, a wonderful, informative, great visit. I'll have to add more as time allows. Take a look at the slide show. Drop me comments or questions and I'll try to answer.



By the way, in speaking with others later in the day... this place is apparently AMAZING at Christmas time. If you happen to be in the area... send me pics!!!

Here's the slide show!


1 comment:

  1. Great Post ~ Good pictures in the slide show ~

    ReplyDelete