Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jesus With Cowboy Boots - Paris, Texas

When I first heard about this, I imagined some horrible garish, maybe even blasphemous statue depicting Jesus as a cowboy or something like that. Until I actually saw the statue, I had no clue what I was going to see. I did not see any photographs before my visit.

Well, I have to tell you I was wrong. First of all, this is an OLD grave marker. Willet Babcock (whose marker the statue rests on) died in 1888! And the depiction of Jesus is very respectful and traditional. He is holding the cross, similar to thousands of other statues. But, if you look closely, and you do have to look closely, instead of the traditional bare feet or sandals, he is wearing cowboy boots, well one cowboy boot to be precise (only one foot shows)



The grave marker is quite impressive, maybe 12-15 feet high. It is one of the largest in the cemetery. The marker does not give any clues to the life of Mr. Babcock, but somewhere in my research, I read that he was a furniture maker. I also read somewhere that he may have been involved in the railroad or fire department or maybe all of the above.










I decided not to be overtly funny or disrespectful here. I thought I would be when I first heard of this "attraction". But, it's not. It's really just a guy who died in "cowboy country" and the memorial shows it. I'd love to learn more about Willet Babcock or the sculptor who did the statue. Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I just bumped into your blog and wanted to say Howdy and I think it's pretty great! Looking forward to your future posts.
    Cheers! Gunnar

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shows that all good things do come from Texas.

    ReplyDelete