Saturday, March 27, 2010

A&W Root Beer Family - Willcox, AZ (Part II)

If you've been following me, you may remember that I previously visited this location, but found it closed (Sunday). I took some photographs and reported what I found. That story is here.



Well, I returned for a bit more information. This place has the hometown feel of restaurants of long ago. People know each other by name and even if you're a 'stranger' like me, you feel right at home immediately. And as a bonus, the food is great. I highly recommend the "Carter Burger." (I had mine with cheese, mustard and the works... without tomato)

Turns out the "Carters" owned the original A&W Root Beer stand that was at this location. Eventually, A&W disappeared but the Carters continued. It was later sold, but the name has remained. At one time the new menu included pizza that was apparently "the best", but because the owner insisted on the best... was just too expensive to continue.

I asked about the missing "Baby Burger." She is the fourth statue that made up the original A&W "family". I was told that "Baby Burger" was stolen!!! way back in the 70's and never found again. In the photo below, you can see the empty post in the foreground where "Baby Burger" was placed.



At one time, there were talks to purchase a replacement "Baby Burger" by the employees (not sure if the owner was involved). A man "from New Mexico" came through town and offered that he had a "Baby Burger" for sale but had to check with his wife first... end of contact... :(

So... if by chance... you're reading this and know of a "Baby Burger" let us know and we'll put the two of ya together... I hate to see a family devastated by the agony of separation!

Joe

Search Amazon.com for roadside america

No comments:

Post a Comment