Monday, March 22, 2010

First Car Trouble!!! - Paducah, Kentucky

Well... when I started this trip, I assumed there would be at least one or two issues with the truck. After all, it is a 1992 Toyota 4Runner with 150,000 miles. You have to expect SOMETHING. It has been surprisingly trouble free and even this little setback is probably the fault of the "nut behind the steering wheel."

For the second time during the trip I left lights on (dome lights this time) and ran the battery down. When jumping it to start it yesterday morning... somehow the cables got crossed (+ hooked to -). This is NEVER good. However, it was momentary (when the sparks flew, it was evident there was a mistake!) and the car started and ran like a top when properly hooked up.

However, the windshield wipers did not work. And it was raining.... hard. We located the fuse after some difficulty and replaced it and everything was fine... for about 20 minutes. Then it blew again... and we replaced it again. This time it blew immediately. And it was raining... hard.

The good thing is that we have allowed extra time in our trip and a day lost is not a huge deal. So, I just decided to pull in here at Paducah and let the rain pass. I really don't want to get into finding an electrical short or replacing a wiper motor. Mostly, this is due to laziness, but money and time are also minor factors. I mean it's nearly summer back in Los Angeles and everyone knows, "It Never Rains in Southern California."

So, I've checked weather radar, watched the weather channel, paid attention to the local news and weather and... flipped a coin. The result: I'll try and get back on the road around noon today.

I'm only a few miles (about an hour and a half I think) from Paris, TN, the other "competitor" in the Paris, TX tallest Eiffel Tower from the early 90's. I will, hopefully, be reporting on their Eiffel Tower tonight or tomorrow morning. That will be the third "Paris" that I've visited on this trip. I might actually visit "Paris, Arkansas" tomorrow to make number 4. That, of course, depends on weather, wipers and whether or not the mood strikes me.

Joe

1 comment:

  1. While you are visiting Parises you'll have to try the one and only in the world, Saint Paris, OH. It is called the Pony Wagon Town but you may have to stop by the furniture store to find out where one of the historical little vehicles can be found.

    ReplyDelete