Monday, February 22, 2010

First Major Outing!!!!

WOW... nearly a year since I posted "Lady Liberty." And now, for the first "real" trip of this blog, I'm preparing to undertake a major road trip. I will be leaving either Saturday, March 6, 2010 or Sunday, March 7, 2010 for a 3 week journey that will take me from California, through the southern states of AZ, NM, TX and then up into KY and IN (I'm sure I skipped a few).


I get to attend the wedding of my niece/God-daughter in Evansville, IN on 3/13/2010. The photo is me and her, way back in December 1983. She's changed a little since then, all grown up and getting married. Me... I look exactly the same... NOT


At any rate, this blog is supposed to be about odd and unusual places, so I have a few planned along the way.

  1. Roadside Mastodon - a sculpture(?) visible from the 60 Freeway here in California
  2. The World's Tallest Paper Cup - unsure if it's still there, but I'm gonna go look.
  3. The Center of the World - Apparently some guy started his own city and has declared it the center of the world (ONLY in California... LOL)
  4. Space Age Lodge and Motel - Complete with a flying saucer on the roof
  5. A&W Root Beer Family... think of Bob's Big Boy only older
  6. Eiffel Tower Replica (with a RED cowboy hat on top) - in Texas, of course
  7. The World's 2nd largest timepiece - again... not sure if this is still valid or exists, but I'm going to go have a look
Those are "planned", but not necessarily in stone. For my trip eastbound, I'm basically traveling along I-8 I-10 to I-20 to I-30 to I-40 to I-65 to Louisville, KY and then back to Evansville on I-64. If anyone out there knows of an "interesting" or "odd" site along the way... PLEASE let me know here. I'm also open to visits, etc. For those of you that "know me", I will be "back home" in Hindsboro, IL around 3/18 - 3/19. There is a dinner planned at Yoder's in Arthur, IL on 3/18 @ 5:00 p.m. Consider this your invitation.

I have not decided my route back westbound, so I'm open to suggestions for that as well.

I do not have an RV yet, so this trip will be in my '92 Toyota 4Runner. Over the next couple weeks, before I leave, I will post a few pics as I get the Toyota ready to go. Yes, I plan to sleep in the Toyota!!!! I will break down and get lodging for the wedding... might need a good LONG, HOT shower by then.

Here's a couple pics of the Toyota before getting ready. I have taken out one rear seat but left the other (currently folded down) so that I have enough space to sleep.





There will be more to come in the days that follow before my trip. And, during the trip, I hope to post daily (except maybe wedding day!!!)

2 comments:

  1. The kids sure do think you are nuts love you Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you safe travels and hoping you find many amazing, or at least interesting, sights along the way.

    ReplyDelete