Monday, April 5, 2010

Roadside Santa - Oxnard, California

If you're on the 101 (Ventura Highway.... think the Eagles America... thank you anonymous commenter!!!) between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, this roadside sight will be on the north side of the freeway, just east (south) of Oxnard. For whatever reason, the freeway here is commonly labled "north/south" when, in fact, it is running virtually east/west.

Not only is this "attraction" a bit odd and unusual in it's own right, sitting at the side of the road year-round. But the story of how it got here is pretty cool too.

Santa originally rested atop a false chimney on a Candy Store on Santa Claus Lane between Carpinteria, California and Santa Barbara, California. Apparently, back in the 50's it was thought that a year-round Christmas attraction located on the beach would be a great idea. And it was, for many years. I remember about 20 years ago, taking my daughters up to "Santa Claus Lane" to take photos for a Christmas card. I don't think we ever used them and now, who knows where these photos are. The plaque below shows the original sculptor and date of the original completion.

Eventually, the powers that be (whoever they are), came to the conclusion that a "Santa Claus Lane" on the beach had lost it's novelty and attraction. Plus the Santa which had been sitting atop a faux chimney was in disrepair and the owners were planning on taking it down and/or destroying it.

Eventually, even the street name was changed. Only a small section of roadway under the freeway (about 400 feet long) which connects the renamed Padaro Lane and Via Real remains "Santa Claus Lane." The shopping area has been revamped to more traditional themed businesses.(I would like to include a photo of the way things used to be on Santa Claus Lane, but I have none and I do not believe in "borrowing" from another website. If you have such a photo, let me know!)

The plaque above makes reference to "Nyeland Acres". That is the area where Santa (and a few other decorations) are now located. The good people of Oxnard saved Santa from certain demise. You'll note in the photo above, Santa has on glasses. Just to let you know, in the summer time, he dons a pair of sunglasses!!! Not sure of the brand though. Once I hear that the glasses have been changed this year, I'll try and go back up and insert another photo here!

At any rate, Santa now sits beside the roadway. It's kind of a trick to get to, but you have to get on the frontage road on the exit past Santa if you're traveling north (west). I've never gotten there traveling south (east) although I doubt it's one of those "You can't get there from here" sort of places.

Billy & Bo here do their best to guard this roadside Santa. Everything other than the actual Santa statue itself was added after the trip down here to Oxnard. I don't know if there is any significance to the names here. If you have information on this kind of stuff... I'd love to hear from you.

They have added a few decorations here in Santa's new home. I'm assuming "in season" and at night, this is a Christmas tree. And, of course there's Bo & Billy above representing the familiar soldiers from The Nutcracker.






There's even reindeer on the fence and gate including RUDOLF!




Yes, it's a little odd to have a year-round Santa, maybe even more so because this is California and not the North Pole. But, when it gets right down to it, shouldn't we all practice the spirit of giving 365 days a year? Merry Christmas my friends, every day of the year!

Joe

Search Amazon.com for Santa Claus

Search Amazon.com for Christmas Lore

7 comments:

  1. We change his glasses at daylight savings time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See!!! wasn't that great, Mike let me know about the glasses... and I noticed, mike, that you used the word "we". Care to expand on your connection? I just type what I know, but if you have more info, I would be glad to include it!!!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent many a day, back in the day at Santa Claus lane. Seeing this post makes me kind of sad that the kids today won't have the same excitement and enjoyment there. I remember the gift shop and the candy the most. Some of my best childhood memories were created there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a little faux pas....Ventura Highway was sung by America, not the Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you anonymous commenter... you are correct.. changes have been made!!!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of the people who helped move santa to Oxnard. We take really good care of him and many people say he never looked better. On the saturday before Christmas we give away toys, last year we gave away 1,500. This year will be our 7th toy giveaway and our 3rd annual Santa to the sea half marathon,relay and 5k fun run.We also started the santa to the sea scholarship fund giving away six scholarships.

    ReplyDelete