Friday, March 6, 2009

The Kids Think I Am Nuts (First Entry)

Wow... another blog... I have no clue how many of these or even how many domain names I've owned and lost or currently own, trying to get this thing started! Hopefully people will flock to my site(s)... I will become the next Internet millionaire... and you can all say... I was reading his blog back when....

OK, all that would be nice but it's not going to happen. So I will hopefully spell out the purpose of this blog and you will come back to be entertained, to check up on me, to learn something perhaps or maybe just to satisfy your curiosity. Whatever the reason, please keep coming back.

Here's the deal. As of this date, I'm 51 years old and up to this point have pretty much lived the "good life" by my standards. I'm not wealthy monetarily, but I have had the great good fortune to have exceptionally good friends, fantastic life experiences and along the way a couple of kids that constantly amaze me with their talent, intellect and personalities (I have no clue how I came to be their father... unbelievable).

The reason for this blog is to hopefully put into words my next big adventure and bring you along with me for what I hope will be a great and glorious ride. This next undertaking will be the most planned (yet unplanned in it's fruition) part of my life thus far. I am three years away (2012) from the "kick off" but already far behind in the preparations. In a nutshell, I plan to crawl into a small RV sometime between March 2012 (my youngest's 21st birthday) and July 2012 (my 55th birthday) and begin a full time life on the road!

There's a lot to do between now and then. I mentioned earlier that my "good life" did not mean that I am financially sound. Quite the contrary, I live paycheck to paycheck like most folks these days. The good thing about being in the RV is that I will already be homeless!!! Since I will only be 55 there will be no Social Security benefits, pensions or anything to sponsor my wanderings. Somehow, some way between now and then I need to discover a way to make money on the road. I have several ideas which will be discussed in further blogs, but one of my hopes is that a site like this will draw enough people who will click enough ads (I'm not sure I'm supposed to mention that) to help out. There will also be "jobs" along the way and I am working on acquiring some specific skills that will hopefully allow me to get a job when the need arises. Some of these "jobs" will also be discussed in future entries, but one might fit in right here.

One of these jobs that I'm thinking about is "Santa Claus." People seem to want to know about who's writing these blogs including description, so this is a good opportunity to tell you about me. I am fond of describing myself as an "old, fat, bald guy with white hair and a white beard". Sounds like Santa Claus to me!!! I am actually serious about this. One of the possible ways that I might support my nomadic lifestyle is to find a nice place in early November and somehow offer my services as Santa. This might be a mall Santa or something else. But, I figure I already have the physique and the look. This past year I experimented with my beard and found that I need to begin to let it grow about 3 months in advance to have a passable "Santa's beard".

This brings up the title of this blog and the closing of this first post. This lifestyle is NOT for everyone. There are, however, thousands of people "full-timing" all over North America and the world. I am not talking about going out into the wilderness like Jeremiah Johnson or testing my own survival instinct as depicted in "Into the Wild." But I do want the kind of life where every morning when I wake up my big decision of the day is "Go?" or "Stay?" It is a lifestyle that will take me all over North America I hope. A journey that will allow me to meet all sorts of people. A way of life that is dictated by the my own desires rather than the needs and desires of the way of life most enjoy.

The kids think I am nuts!

1 comment: